Saturday, May 12, 2007

Mother's Day Reflections

Sunday, May 12th, 1991 was Mother's Day. I didn't pick the day for this event. It just happened that way. We got the first call on Good Friday - the pups had arrived, and yes!, there was a little female runt, and she was born side by side with another female! A TWO FOR ONE SALE! From that day on, they were inseparable...and such a perfect match. One all wiggles and joy and love, the other - reserved and quiet, content to be overlooked but always needing to lean into you to feel secure...opposites. Like best friends often are. We got in the car with our two joys, and the one knew RIGHT AWAY what was going on. She was LEAVING MAMA, and whimpered herself to sleep. The other was content to sleep. As we rode along the highway I couldn't believe the 15 year wait was over. The wait to have my very own pups - The wait for a nice fenced yard, for not working full time so I could train them well. It was such a joy to have my own little two. I couldn't get enough of looking at them. They were about the size of a child's football or a little sub sandwich. We stopped along the road to give them a meal & their legs shook as they ate - little legs that were just 6 weeks old. Little legs that were fuzzy and so soft. That first night they slept all through the night, balled up together, as they did every night for over 13 years. I don't think I will ever forget that day. I don't think I will ever get over the joy and the privilege. It was one of the happiest days of my life. (Click on the photos to enlarge)